Lush forests. Soft sand dunes. Crisp air. Clear ocean waters. Behold the beauty of Oregon, the untamed state of the Pacific Northwest. It’s easy to reconnect with nature in Oregon. Head to the coast to explore its charming beach towns and all they have to offer. In Newport, spend your days at the beach and your evenings eating clam chowder. Look to Lincoln City for a rare sighting of the Bald Eagle in its natural habitat of Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge. Drink world-class craft beer in Bend. Sled down the Oregon Dunes in Florence or travel along the coast to see its iconic lighthouses. Get away from everything in secluded Pacific City, known as a sleepy town that’s in touch with its natural side.
Not sure where to start? Check out the best destinations in the state for beach goers, beer drinkers, and sand sledders—there’s something for everyone in Oregon.
- Hit the beach in Newport.Known as the Capital of the Oregon Coast, Newport offers a wide variety of things to do near the beach. Start your day at historic Nye Beach for some fun in the sun, before grabbing dinner at Mo’s Seafood and Chowder, drinking a beer at Rogue Ales and Spirits, and indulging in dessert at Nye Beach Sweets. While in town, check out the Oregon Coast Aquarium and soak in the area’s history at the Oregon Coast History Center.
- Spot a Bald Eagle in Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge.Located in coastal Lincoln City, the Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge is home to the rare Bald Eagle, Roosevelt Elk, Harbor Seals, and Mink. While you’re at it, go to the D River State Recreational Site for some whale watching. After observing wildlife in its natural habitat, head back inland to see the Abraham Lincoln statue and shop at the Lincoln City Outlets.
- Enjoy craft beer at the Bend Brewfest.As the craft beer hub of Oregon, Bend boasts 22 local breweries. Year-round, visitors can embark on the Bend Ale Trail, a guided beer tour that stops at all of the city’s most popular breweries. In August, the Old Mill District’s Les Schwab Amphitheater hosts a three-day beer festival with over 200 rare beers to sample. Bend also has a lot to offer outdoor-wise; kayak down the Deschutes River or ski at Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort.
- Sled down the Oregon Dunes.On the South Oregon Coast, the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area in the Siuslaw National Forest is the largest stretch of coastal sand dunes in North America. If you want to sled, check out the Sand Master Park and Sandland Adventures Inc. in Florence.
- Escape reality in Pacific City.While beach towns such as Newport still feel like civilization, Pacific City is the ultimate escape from the world. Characterized by its wild vistas, piney forests, and high tide waves, Pacific City encourages its visitors to marvel at nature. Learn to surf, try hang gliding, camp under the stores, or simply relax with a cold beer on the beach at the Pelican Brewing Company.