How to pick the perfect vacation rental in Port Aransas
With palm tree-lined streets and convenient beach access, the 19-square-mile coastal Port Aransas—known as “Port A”—allures travelers from Texas and beyond. The gulf shore island is just a short drive from many of Texas’ big cities; given the island’s size, all of Port Aransas’ top attractions are just a quick drive away. In addition to beachgoers, Port Aransas is a haven for bird watchers, a must-visit for nature lovers, and a destination for sportfishers. Those seeking a relaxing coastal getaway—or a convenient home base for daytime activities—will find a variety of charming home rental properties in Port A’s Palmilla Resort and the Royal Sands community.
Whether you’re visiting for fishing, relaxing, or to watch the impressive array of migrating birds, here are a few tips to make sure you pick the perfect vacation rental in Port Aransas.
- Where to stay for beach access in Port Aransas: As a small island, Port Aransas is ringed by sandy oceanfront views, but many are private and inaccessible to the public. The best neighborhoods to rent a beach-access vacation home in Port Aransas include the island’s northern end toward the public (and pet-friendly) IB Magee Beach and its adjacent Port Aransas Beach.
- Where to stay for birding in Port Aransas: Port Aransas is located along a major migratory bird route; it sees thousands of migrating species—not to mention hundreds of indigenous birds—every year. Given its location and abundance of bird species, the town also hosts an annual Whooping Crane Festival to honor the endangered whooping crane in February. The best area for bird watchers to rent a Port Aransas vacation home or condo is just south of downtown near Wetland Park or Port Aransas Nature Preserve. The latter has a panoramic birding center on-site.
- Where to stay for golfing in Port Aransas: Port Aransas’ main golf course, Palmilla Beach Golf Club, is located just over three miles from downtown—and it’s the perfect spot for golfers to rent a vacation home or condo. The par-71 course has been rated one of Texas’ top golf destinations, and it’s home to the Port Aransas Open, which takes place every January. Vacation rentals near the Palmilla Beach Golf Club offer access to the links-style course as well as the beach.
- Where to stay for rest and relaxation in Port Aransas: For a quiet beach getaway, head five miles south of downtown to rent a vacation home in one of Port Aransas’ most secluded and serene resort communities, Cinnamon Shore. Local neighborhood hangouts like Lisabella’s and C Bar Cafe pair with a dune-lined beach to help you unwind and relax on a more remote part of the island. Alternatively, you can still enjoy some rest and relaxation near downtown Port Aransas with a vacation condo in the Costa Del Ray community. These condos include beach access and an on-site pool.
- Where to stay for sportfishing in Port Aransas: Game fish like sharks and red snapper can be found off the Gulf Shore, making Port Aransas—often considered the gateway to the Gulf—one of Texas’ best destinations for sportfishing. If you’re planning to fish in Port Aransas, rent a vacation home or condo in downtown for quick access to sportfishing outfitters like Bill Busters and Badfish. If the Gulf Coast’s oldest fishing tournament, the Deep Sea Roundup, is in your future plans, rent a home in downtown Port Aransas for close proximity to the weekend’s events.
- Where to stay for a family vacation in Port Aransas: With miniature golf, clean beaches, and kid-friendly dining, Port Aransas makes for a stress-free family getaway—particularly if you’re renting a vacation home near downtown. This area has a variety of restaurants such as MacDaddy’s Family Kitchen and wholesome tourism attractions like the Red Dragon Pirate Cruises, which are suited for kids (and adults) of all ages.